[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis and .NET

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Sun Oct 3 05:38:59 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-03 at 10:09:04 Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> I think a good start would be to admit that the Ogg formats really don't
> rock the house compared to the default installation of media codecs on a
> Windows system, probably still having a market share of >>95% on home
> computers. The next step is to admit that the "free" argument is rather
> relative if you compare the license costs for the mentioned codecs with
> the labour costs for developing a user friendly software solution for
> Ogg based services like media on demand. If we also admit, that the
> multimedia industry won't allow providers to distribute content without
> some sort of DRM restrictions, I think we're getting close to reality.

I think you have to keep in mind that there are two different target
audiences here: the (normal) Windows users and the Windows developers.

For the normal users, the only thing that needs to be done is creating
an *easy* way to play all Ogg formats, especially in Windows Media
Player.  WinAmp already supports it out of the box, and with those
two, you should already cover about 99% of that market.  I don't see
any easily-installable Windows Media Player plugin (yet?) on
vorbis.com's download section...

For the developers, there's already a very nice C-based API, both low-
and high-level, so in theory, it's finished.  However, the SDK as it
is, is too difficult for the many VB, C# and other .NET developers out
there.  Just creating a high-level "wrapper" which exports the
existing C API to .NET would already make it much more accessible.