[Vorbis-dev] Questions about License and so on.

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 11 18:33:08 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 06:20:07PM -0600, Rodrigo G?mez wrote:

> In plain text: can he create and distribute a component that uses the code
> available in the Windows SDK, either in the DLL presentation and/or the
> OBJ/LIB way without any restrictions? Does his code will have to be GPLed?
> As far as I undesrstand, there is no restrictions whatsoever with the use of
> the vorbis software libraries, other than there is an acknowledgement to
> Xiph.org for using the codec source, isn't? He is not trying to use or
> distribute other parts of the SDK (i.e., not vorbistools, etc). The only
> function of this components will be to encode or decode audio, nothing more.

There are two pieces. The vorbistools programs (oggenc, vorbiscomment,
etc.) are GPL, and so anything that uses it must be. The dlls and
example code in the sdk (vorbis.dll, vorbisfile.dll, vorbisenc.dll) or
any build of the same code only requires a copyright acknowedgement.
Please do go ahead and use those.

Hope that helps,
 -r