[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Gregory Maxwell greg at motherfish-II.xiph.org
Wed May 26 16:29:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> I took a quick glance at the papers you referenced and this piece of
> source code (or rather a Java port of it):
>
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/fec.html#fec.ps
>
> If you throw k packets into the encoder and get n>k packets out, the
> packets 0 to k-1 is just a copy of the original packets and all the
> redundancy is placed in the packets k to n-1. It's still possible to
> take _any_ k packets out of the encoded bundle and reconstruct the
[snip]> streams with different levels of FEC. I bet that implementing such
> transport protocol is less work than writing an RFC compliant
> description of the FEC algorithms used :)
Doh. :) you got me there.. :) I've even used that stuff before. so.. :)
it's easy to use as a black box..
> I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you on this. I image some
> non-technical radio station employee testing such a client. He starts
> it, and after 15-20 seconds, there's still no sound playing. He'll ditch
> it and go back to the Windows Media Player.
Then don't make it the default. It would be acceptable for an indimedia
stream coming off a dialup where the codebook load (esp unicasted
codebooks) would just be completely intolerable.