[vorbis-dev] granulepos start/end revisited

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Sun May 23 23:43:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 04:21:09PM +1000, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> No, offense, but I do believe there is a need for exact durations and
> for the flexibility to insert subtitles on the fly during live
> productions. And I've worked with a captioning company before and they
> were very picky on exactness of timing.

Writ already has exact durations and flexibility to insert subtitles on
the fly during live productions.  What it doesn't have, and what I
strongly feel that it doesn't need, is the ability to decide the
duration after the phrase has been defined.

And if it does, you can always use several one-granule phrases and it'll
work just fine.  Those poor, poor people trying to transcribe while
also controlling the lengths of the transcriptions.  "Oh, shit bill,
you've had that word on the screen 30 seconds longer than it should have
been!"

But then again what's your concern?  Annodex already provides subtitles,
doesn't it?  Wrapping Ogg up in it's own container format with the
subtitles and everything else.  So for your customers doing live events
where they absolutly need hypertext links and all that jazz, you won't
be using Writ anyways because it'd be redundant.

For a vast majority of the broadcasting world, where transcriptionists
are trained for Line21-based closed captioning systems, being able to
erase text at exact times is completely beyond the scope of what they
do.  To the point of being rediculous.  Their job is to hammer the words
out as quickly as they can and let them expire as they roll off the top
of their window.  A default timeout will expire the last words on-screen
after a preset amount of time.  They don't worry about what's on the
screen or for how long, nor do they even care if it's 100% accurate.

Plus, if they want the transcribed text on the screen in a timely
fashion they're going to put single or double letter phrases anyways,
compiled into the same window, and trying to then go back and tell each
letter to delete?  Woah.  No way in hell.  Even if the machine does this
for them, sending stop-packets for every letter?  Too much overhead.