[vorbis-dev] Is that ok for vorbis to encode 24bits/96KHz audio?

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Sat May 22 20:32:39 PDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:35, Yann Guidon wrote:
>  hi,
>
>  John Morton wrote:
>  >On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:36, Conrad Parker wrote:
>  >> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 07:04:28AM +1000, Kenji Chan wrote:
>  >> > Is that ok for vorbis to encode 24bits/96KHz audio?
>  >>
>  >> yes, oggenc should be able to handle it.
>  >
>  >However, libvorbisfile wasn't capable of doing 24bit output,  last I
>  > checked.
>
>  what's the point if it's lossy ?

vorbis produces output samples as floats which are converted to some width of
integer sample. I have no idea whether 'the difference between 16bit and
24bit samples', however you might characterise it, is discarded by vorbis
during encoding (for a given bitrate) , but I do know that some DACs have
different quality characteristics at 16 and 24bit which a particular user
might care about.

All that's needed is an optimized float->24bit pcm conversion to end up in
libvorbisfile, or you could roll your own using ov_read_float, and perhaps
libsndfile's float->int conversions.

John