[vorbis-dev] granulepos start/end revisited

André Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Thu May 20 22:35:03 PDT 2004

On 21/05/2004, at 3:32 PM, André Pang wrote:

> Say you have this:
>
>     | subtitle A (0-10 seconds) |
>                 | subtitle B (5-13 seconds) |
>
> So, in Writ, I'm guessing that would look like two packets: A starts
> at 0 seconds and has a duration of 10 seconds, and B starts at 5
> seconds and has a duration of 8 seconds.  If, instead, you handled it
> with state changes:
>
>     | A turns on (0)            | A turns off (10)
>                 | B turns on (5)       | B turns off (13)
> You also don't have to use a start-time granulepos, an end-time
> granulepos will do just fine, so this scheme will work right now, as
> opposed to whenever start-time granulepos code gets implemented.

Hmm, in fact, you may be able to generalise this to _any_ (presumably
discontinuous) codec which uses durations: you should be able to
convert any packet with a duration to a start/end state change.  If
this is the case, is there a _need_ for start-time granulepos?

--
% Andre Pang : trust.in.love.to.save