[vorbis-dev] Vorbis over RTP - first attempt

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Sat May 29 17:34:03 PDT 2004

Hi again,

after the discussion the last few days, I started doing some coding and
first of all have a first very simple, quick and dirty demo client:

http://www.j-ogg.de/rtp/index.html

During the coding, I've run into a few problems:

- I was planning to replace the identification header with appropriate
entries in the SDP descriptor. However, the frame sizes are defined here
(why not in the setup header) and if we'll allow different codebooks
(and then likely different frame sizes), there must be a way to get
these together with the new setup header.

- The flags in the audio packets describing the frame length (short or
long) for the previous and next packets are problematic when handling
packet loss.

- Streaming CMML as a complete XML document is difficult enough for
unicast transmission (packet loss handling) and impossible for multicast
purposes. Would it be a feasible solution to drop the document header
<?xml...><cmml> and footer </cmml> and demand RTP packets to contain
separate entities, which may be decoded as standalone XML snippets (e.g.
just one clip or title element in one RTP packet)?