[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Wed May 26 15:30:04 PDT 2004

Jack Moffitt wrote:

>So it's not expected that codebooks will change during the duration of a
>stream.  Allowing them to just mirrors the way Ogg files and Icecast TCP
>based streaming already work, ie, supporting chains.

I got to think about a situation where this may happen: It would make
sense to use RTCP statistics to allow the server to switch to a lower
bitrate if the packets are not arriving at the client. I don't think
there's a way around keeping the sample rate and number of channels
constant, but I suppose it's likely that the encoder would use different
codebooks if the server switches down from say -q 5 to -q 3?

Tor