[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue May 25 19:01:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 06:15:51PM -0700, Aaron Colwell wrote:

> I was planning on implementing RTP delivery of Vorbis and Theora in Helix.

Go Aaron! :)

> The current draft leaves much to be desired. Here are the issues I
> see with it.

Wow. Thanks for the summary. These all look like reasonable criticisms.

> - I don't think you should use the RTCP channel for distribution of the
>   headers and codebooks. I think this should be done in the RTP channel. One
>   of my main reasons for this is that the RTCP channel is much more bandwidth
>   limited than the RTP channel. By default you'll only get 3.75% of the session
>   bandwidth for server initiated RTCP packets. This may not be enough for
>   timely delivery of codebooks.

I think delivery in the RTP channel should be possible, but I don't
understand how you intend to handle dropped header packets. RTP
generally used unreliable transport, and the stream is of course
not decodable without the info and setup headers.

 -r