[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue May 25 17:11:10 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:57:42AM +1000, Conrad Parker wrote:

> The next steps are:
>
> 	1. ensure that all outstanding issues are resolved in the
> 	working version of the draft (ie. the one in vorbis svn).

Is there a summary of these available?

> As I recall the main outstanding issue is the delivery of codebooks as an
> RTP payload. As these are critical for stream decode it was suggested that
> they instead be referenced during setup and retrieved via a reliable
> mechanism, such as HTTP. It is a technical argument, not political.

Yes, this is the "hard part". It would help if we had some active
implementations. I believe the current draft specifies a separate RTCP
connection for the headers and a way to pass them through SDP (this
method supports caching). The draft doesn't speak directly to the
headers being included in the rtp stream, but this should probably be
included as well.

 -r