[vorbis-dev] granulepos start/end revisited

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Sun May 23 23:09:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 12:28:32PM +1000, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I disagree. It's far better not to have to know in advance when the
> subtitle has to stop, because if you want to use it for *life*
> subtitling (as in the evening news), you don't actually know how long a
> speaker is going to talk for. :)

I've never personally done live transcription before, but I have worked
in studios where this has been done and I know from seeing how they do
it that there's no such thing as "release this phrase now".  They don't
care, nor have time, to do that.

If you're doing live then the delay is going to be something reasonable
with older text automatically bumped off the window.  This is a
non-issue.  The transcriptionists are not going to even select the
duration of each phrase seperatly, but are going to have some
system-wide default length.

The same holds true for other forms of live speech, too.  The only time
that exact durations are nessesary are for anal retentive producers of
movies or for song lyrics whereas the length of the phrase on the screen
helps the viewer get an idea of what the music is like, or something.

If someone really wants to have live control over the duration of a
piece of text they can simply use small repetitive clips, redefining the
window to length it as needed/wanted.  This case is going to be so rare
that special support for it doesn't need to be in the spec.