[vorbis-dev] Can vorbisfile read comments from an HTTP stream

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Tue May 18 08:26:18 PDT 2004

Just noticed this article on Slashdot:

 http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/18/0432202

...about the feasibility and efficiency of reading id3v2 tags out of mp3's
over http. I know that vorbisfile's callback model is well suited to handling
this sort of scenario, but I'm curious to know whether ov_open will try to
read enough stream to pull the comments out on a non-seekable stream.
I've only played around with it on seekable streams, where it tries to scan
the whole stream to get a count of the logical streams within.

Would ov_test get enough header read to determine the size of the comment
before sucking it all in for parsing?

John