[vorbis-dev] embedding a lot of vorbis comments

Daniel Holth dholth at fastmail.fm
Thu May 13 08:18:45 PDT 2004

Scott Wheeler wrote:

>On Wednesday 12 May 2004 21:57, Daniel Holth wrote:
>

>>>implementation rather than on the standard itself.  Specifically TagLib
>>>"trusts" the length as listed rather than looking for null characters.
>>>

>>the standard also specifies a null-terminated text encoding.
>>

>Actually it very explicitly says the opposite.  ;-)
>
>Again see http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
>
>"The vector length is encoded; the vector contents themselves are not null
>terminated."
>
>"5. Comment field 0 ([Comment field 0 length] octets coded from beginning of
>string to end of string, not null terminated)"

In info.c:

char *vorbis_comment_query(vorbis_comment *vc, char *tag, int count)

No comment length is returned.

Ah, I see it is not NULL terminated in the vorbis itself:

00000f0   f   )  \t  \0  \0  \0   T   I   T   L   E   =   U   H   F  \r
0000100  \0  \0  \0   T   R   A   C   K   N   U   M   B   E   R   =   6

but libvorbis adds a NULL terminator when decoding the comments.

- Daniel Holth