[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Daniel Holth dholth at fastmail.fm
Tue May 4 09:43:33 PDT 2004

Ken Rogoway wrote:

>Actually, this is exactly what I am doing.  I have modified the code in
>load_ogg.c (a part of the SDL_mixer to handle the case when the stream is
>starting at a seek position that is not 0.  If this is true then I use
>different seek and tell callbacks to tell libvorbisfile that the stream is
>not seekable.  However, since the mixer calls the ov_pcm_total() function
>which does not know anything about the fact that I am a small file inside a
>larger stream, it fails.  I think if I am going to try and "hack" it in this
>way I need to do as suggested and modify all of the callback functions to
>work relative to the beginning of the sub-file I am currently positioned at
>and also deal with reading past the end of the sub-file.

Ken,

I'm the guy who did the fishmixer thing. It's a patch to SDL_mixer that
replaces the ogg/vorbis loader with fishsound, letting SDL_mixer load
vorbis and speex. Since libfishsound doesn't provide a pcm-total, and
since I hate having to know pcm-total in advance anyway, the fishmixer
patch grows the sound buffer as more samples come in.

So I make a buffer that's big enough without having to allocate that
buffer at the start. You might give it a look - since you're having
trouble with pcm-total, just don't use it at all.

- Daniel H.