[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Ken Rogoway Ken at Rogoway.com
Mon May 3 23:41:53 PDT 2004

>There is a separate set of API calls for playing a background music track
that
>may use streaming techniques when possible.

>It should be noted that SDL_Mixer has native support for loading Ogg Vorbis
samples.
>The documentation says you can pass an Ogg Vorbis filename to a number of
the
>LoadWAV calls and it will handle them transparently. This doesn't help
directly
>with your packed data format, but another possible approach is to the
>Mix_LoadWAV_RW with an SDL_RWops callback set to feed it the data similar
>what you're already doing with libvorbisfile.

Actually, this is exactly what I am doing.  I have modified the code in
load_ogg.c (a part of the SDL_mixer to handle the case when the stream is
starting at a seek position that is not 0.  If this is true then I use
different seek and tell callbacks to tell libvorbisfile that the stream is
not seekable.  However, since the mixer calls the ov_pcm_total() function
which does not know anything about the fact that I am a small file inside a
larger stream, it fails.  I think if I am going to try and "hack" it in this
way I need to do as suggested and modify all of the callback functions to
work relative to the beginning of the sub-file I am currently positioned at
and also deal with reading past the end of the sub-file.

>Or, you can give up an write your own mixer on top of basic SDL_Audio,
which of
>course gives you much more control of how the data is handled. I suspect
this is
>more the situation Mike was assuming you where in in the first place.

The simple solution is to leave the OGG files as individual files and
everything works fine.  I just felt it was more professional to package up
all of my assets into a pack file rather than have a couple hundred assets
installed on the end users hard drive.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and feedback.  I appreciate the time you
have taken and think I will go with handling the seek, tell, etc,
appropriately for my sub-file.  If that doesn't work then I will just leave
the files as individual OGG files in the distribution.

FWIW,
 -r
'vorbis-dev-request at xiph.org'

---