[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon May 3 22:43:35 PDT 2004

Hi Ken,

by the sounds of it, you're dealing with a bunch of really short sound
effects, right? and you want to be able to grab one, decode it, and
send it off to play?

You want to be using vorbisfile's callback functions, including seek:

  http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbisfile/callbacks.html

Let's say you have a sound effect which you know starts at byte 10000
and ends at byte 25000.

You supply fake functions for seek, read and tell which make libvorbisfile
think that it's actually dealing with a 15000 byte long file; ie. you
translate seek requests by an offset of 10000 and you make any request
beyond 15000 look like an EOF.

You pass these functions to ov_open_callbacks() when you create your
vorbisfile handle, then you just use libvorbisfile as though you'd just
opened a single sound effect disk file.

another guy wrote some SDL_mixer support using liboggz+libfishsound, which
do similar stuff to libvorbisfile but are callback based (and can handle
multitrack, but you probably don't need that):

  http://www.dingoskidneys.com/fishmixer/

You'd want to check out OggzIO in the oggz api docs if you go down that
path, but it's the same kind of deal as for vorbisfile: you set up the
right callbacks, then just let the library do its thing.

Conrad.