[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon May 3 21:28:32 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 14:13, Ken Rogoway wrote:

> Okay.  It seems like this could have been solved by having a parm for non-
> seekable streams that specified the size of the stream.  Regardless, I
> understand
> what you are saying and realize the limitations vs. what I am trying to do.

It's very rare to have a non-seekable stream where you know the size of the
stream in advance - and it's almost completely useless. Such a parameter
would just encourage poor application design.

In your case, the stream IS seekable - it's just that you're lying to
libvorbisfile and telling it that it isn't seekable, to simplify your
implementation.

This _seems_ useful to you because of limitations in some other part of your
program.

> function
> that plays wave data.

I suspected so. This is a flaw in your system - you shouldn't have to pass the
entire stream all at once. You should seriously consider a different approach
where you can decode incrementally and pass smaller buffers to the playback
part of your program. This isn't usually hard to do.

Mike