[vorbis-dev] Packet usage

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sun Mar 28 17:57:17 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 22:21, Adriano Almeida wrote:
> Actually, I "wanted" to read them all, but the routines of decodeing floor
> and residues doesn't use them all. I double check them 3, 4, 5 times and
> they seem alright. It just don't read all packet bits.

It wouldn't be very sensible compression if we only used half of the packet
for decoding :-)

You're probably just doing something wrong with how you're counting the bits
used.

Also, ogg packets have to be byte aligned, so if, for example, the encoder
only needed 30 bits to encode something, it would have to use 32 bits (4
bytes) - so in that case you do get some wasted bits.

Mike