[vorbis-dev] How many MIPS for Vorbis Decoder?

Mike S wickedchicken at plasticpenguins.com
Sun Mar 21 06:45:05 PST 2004

John Ripley wrote:

> I don't know much about the "ultra low cost" market. The only stuff I've
> really played with is targetted for MP3 players in the first place, and
> those are at least several times faster than the MSP430. It's usually just a
> case of optimisation to get Vorbis to fit and run real time on them. For
> arcane low power / low cost DSP architectures, it might be a case of never
> fitting or running real time.

don't know how far-fetched it is) is to take an unused portable CD
player I have, and 'intercept' the data line that goes into the DSP.
Thus, I would write an ogg stream onto each track of a cd. When the data
comes across the line, the ogg vorbis hardware would decode it and send
it to the dsp to be played. Obviously I would have to deal with CD speed
and buffering issues, but I think it has a chance of working. Since this
would be a one-of-a-kind device (and just a hobby) I was looking for
something cheap and easy to work with. Someone mentioned an XScale dev
board, so maybe I'll take a look at that.

This doesn't suit my needs, but would something like this, running linux
and with an audio card attached work for the other guy?

http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

--

~Mike
wickedchicken at plasticpenguins.com