[vorbis-dev] Packet questions

Adriano Almeida adriano at continuum.com.br
Fri Mar 19 12:21:46 PST 2004

From: "Ralph Giles" <giles at xiph.org>

> > Sorry the basic questions but first of all, what are the packet used
afterall?? seems that only pages are important

> The codec only deals with packets. For storage or transmission in the ogg
bitstream format,
> packets are segmented and packed into pages. So there's two separate
layers of parsing:
> file->pages->packets and packets->audio.
>
> > if i have a segment table like the one listed above means that i have 4
packets and each value is its size???

> > 199 195 200 207
>
> Correct.

just to make no doubt about audio decoding .
In one of my pages I have a segment table like:
206 208 41 40 ....

I will have to check if this packet is 0 (confirm if this is audio), read
post and pre windows size and make the mapping inverse and all the stuff
with all of them, correct??

Thanks again, Mr Giles.