[vorbis-dev] How many MIPS for Vorbis Decoder?

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Fri Mar 19 09:12:56 PST 2004

Jens Prüfer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I may be stupid, but I cannot find any data on how "expensive" the Vorbis
> Decoder is. Looking for an embedded solution I am interested in how many
> "MIPS" you need to decode a MONO audio stream at reasonable quality (44 kHz,
> approx. 100 kbps?)
>
> Can it be done in a microcontroller, or do I need ultra-expensive DSPs to do
> it?
>
> Thanks for hints

You want to browse the 'Tremor' list archives. Tremor is the integerized
vorbis decoder that people use for low-power applications.

There have been quite a few threads on the list about optimizing for
different needs (CPU cycles vs memory usage, etc). See
http://www.xiph.org/archives/tremor/200403/0003.html
for example.

Peter Harris