[vorbis-dev] Optimizing Vorbis for a DSP

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Sun Mar 28 13:23:46 PST 2004

> I have recently ported Vorbis to a Texas instruments DSP (TMS320C5510),
> The problem I have is that it is not decoding the audio in real time(
> about 50% of real time). Could any one give me a clue in which area I
> could start to optimize the code.

Well, a few weeks ago Johannes Sandvall posted to the list about "replacing
the IMDCT with a N/4 FFT", which I seem to recall gave a large speedup; his
report is here:
        http://www.sandvall.nu/thesis.pdf

And my crufty brain seems to recall that profiling has determined that more
time is spent in the function "mdct_backward" than any other, but I could be
way off base.

Others on the list are much more qualified than I am, but sometimes a faster,
mediocre response is better than a slower, perfect one.  At least that's
what I'm banking on, anyway.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"We draw people to Christ not by loudly discrediting what they believe, by