[vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

Stan Seibert volsung at xiph.org
Thu Mar 25 21:06:51 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:17, ozone at algorithm.com.au wrote:
> 3.  Like many of the core xiph.org projects, our filters are
> BSD-licensed, and not GPL-licensed.  (This is important for some
> people, since I personally plan to use these filters in contexts
> outside of open-source projects.)  I don't want to get into a license
> war, I just wish to point out that the difference in licensing may be
> the deciding factor for some users.

As a tangent to this discussion, does it make any sense to license
DirectShow filters under the GPL in the first place?  Seems kind of
weird given that their sole purpose is to link to proprietary code.

I guess strictly speaking, if you never distribute GPL plugins with
DirectShow, there is no violation.  However, it means no vendor can
preinstall GPL plugins on a Windows system either, which seems
counterproductive.  LGPL or BSD seem like much more appropriate licenses
for this situation.

I see the CoreVorbis plugin is also licensed under the QPL.  Does anyone
know how that fits into all this?

---
Stan Seibert