[vorbis-dev] Re: New Directshow filters preview...

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Thu Mar 25 14:04:24 PST 2004

illiminable wrote:
> Comments inline...
>>Does DirectShow not have support for a separate demux plugin between the
>>source and decoders? (I don't know anything about it) Seems like taking
>>advantage of the graph would make your plugins more flexible in the
>>future.
>
> Yes it does... but as i mentioned there were significant problems i found
> with this approach because it means you have the link between the source and
> the demux as being a  pull model and then all the downstream filters being a
> push model. In particular when it comes to seeking in ogg, this turned out
> to be a lot more difficult to implement using the "Demux as transform
> filter" approach. Also... the source filters have forced alignments of 512
> bytes, which causes you to have to included all kind of offset corrections
> all through the code to account for.

Did anybody point you to CoreVorbis already ?
http://corevorbis.corecodec.org . I also wonder why you didnt modify
Tobias Waldvogel's existing, and well working, filters, but decided to
rewrite them completely, and even using an inderior approach by
including the source filter into the decoder filter ( which is clearly
against the standard DirectShow approach BTW ) ?

We could have used your Speex decoder filter to play Speex from matroska
container, but right now its unusable for us as it is.

No offense, i just will never understand why developers tend to rewrite
stuff completely, instead of taking other people's existing code ....

Christian