[vorbis-dev] New Directshow filters preview...

Stan Seibert volsung at xiph.org
Mon Mar 22 20:16:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 11:16, illiminable wrote:
> And then there was speex :)
>
> Just added speex support. It's built against speex 1.0.2 for now... i'll up
> the version soon. Should i post to speex-dev too ? I guess many of them read
> vorbis-dev too.

After SXSW, I decided to check out the current state of WMP plugins
(including yours) for Vorbis and friends.  I've recorded the results of
my testing here:

http://wiki.xiph.org/WMPPlugins

So far, results have not been good.  I have not been able to locate any
plugin that can stream from an icecast server, and there is a weird
warning that WMP 9 displays whenever you play an Ogg file that we really
need to figure out how to disable.

The speex support in your plugins looks promising, though.  I haven't
tested it yet.

Long term, we want to have a Xiph.org codec pack for WMP that people can
just install and have (at minimum) decode support for Vorbis, Speex,
naked FLAC, Ogg FLAC and Theora stored both locally and streamed.
Encode support would be nice, but not as essential.

Any ideas on how to get there would be appreciated.  :)

---
Stan Seibert

Stan Seibert