[vorbis-dev] How many MIPS for Vorbis Decoder?

Dan Conti dconti at acm.wwu.edu
Fri Mar 19 11:22:18 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, John Ripley wrote:

> It just occurred to me that a lot of the higher performance embedded CPUs
> tend to have ethernet, USB or wireless interfaces built in at a cost saving
> vs separate chips. That might make some of the otherwise expensive higher
> performance controllers more attractive.

The other factor here is they may have enough on chip memory to avoid
requiring an external chip. For example, the cirrus logic 7312 has about
48K of on chip memory available.

I do not know how much memory vorbis will require, but i believe i looked
at lwip/uIP before and decided i could get either of those into 3-5K of
ram. The only other factor is space for decoded audio buffers, the size of
which sort of depend on your network performance and consistency of your
decode times.

-Dan