[vorbis-dev] access violation in ov_open using VC6

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Mar 9 17:43:23 PST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 12:32, Ryan Ashley wrote:
> That's the problem, Mike.  You see VC++ stuff is 100% proprietary, and a
> good portion of us don't use VC++ for work.  You should make some generic
> libraries for Win32 instead.  Use something standard like gcc/g++ or
> Borland, or even Watcom.  Then the worst thing people have to worry about
> are the makefiles, which can be cake to change between compilers.  Going
> through tons of Vorbis source to recompile just so Vorbis works is a pain
> though.

Our libraries _are_ generic win32 libraries. Obviously, there are some
problems causing linking errors with other systems - I'm not a windows
expert, so I don't know what causes these, or how to fix them. If you could
suggest a fix, we'd be happy to make it.

Using gcc/borland/watcom won't help at all with this - it'll just mean we have
libraries which work on a _different_ compiler - and if we only work with one
compiler, it may as well be the most widely used one (VC++). Obviously,
there's some low-level error causing this incompatibility, because for C code
(which vorbis is), unlike C++, these libraries _should_ be compatible with
other compilers. Help us fix it rather than just complaining.

Mike