[Vorbis-dev] vorbisfile timestamp oddity

Glenn Maynard glenn
Sat Jun 19 21:38:12 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:55:53AM -0400, Frederic Bastien wrote:
> > I'm seeing some inconsistency in returned timestamps using vorbisfile.
>
> You seem to use an old version 1.0 RC3. What I have heard is that this
> version is buggy. Can you grab a newer version 1.0 or the last one 1.0.1?

The file was encoded with 1.0RC3; I'm using 1.0.1.  It's a user file, which
I have no control over, but 1.0.1 seems to be handling it inconsistently.

This glitch means that Oggs sync differently in our program than in others.
This is extremely frustrating, since I'm always pushing users to use Ogg,
with one of the selling points being that, because of timestamping, sync is
much more reliable than MP3.  However, I've fixed all known MP3 sync
discrepencies between our MAD-based decoder and the BASS-based decoder, so
now MP3 is actually more reliable than Ogg for us.  Whoops.

I suppose I'll have to learn how libogg and libvorbis work, so I can figure
out what's really going on.  Sigh.

--
Glenn Maynard