[vorbis-dev] Multi-stream vorbis...

Gregory Maxwell greg at motherfish-II.xiph.org
Tue Jun 1 15:21:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Daniel Holth wrote:

> Ha! Funny joke! Wrappers and [proprietary, discontinued] OS changes from
> user supplications!

Whats wrong with a wrapper?

> The multi-extension lobby would like to use a tool called 'ls' to stab
> at whether a file is audio or video, and would like to be able to guess
> the same from ftp listings, gopher, whatever. It's kindof useful.

I could see some use for that.. but really.. the average joe doesn't have
that problem with ftp and gopher. He gets his files from webpages that
can list the info or from file trading systems like KaZZa which fixed the
problem for many files types ages ago... by reading out the metadata. The
fact that these apps read out whats inside mp3s/avis/wm?/mpg files is an
existance proof that trying to seperate files by name is a pointless
game.

> technologies that are incompatible with all current players,
> technologies, and frameworks.

The one file extension framework fits in file with most players as they
can play many forms of multimedia.

> On the other hand, multiple filename
> extensions is something, call it a kludge if you want, that will help
> users and compatibility and fits in with the fact that people use
> different programs to play audio and video. It doesn't hurt.

Are you claiming I'm not a person? .. as I only use one program.
Most of the people I know only use a single program to play both audio and
video. Your position is shortsighted.

If you want to use multiple players a wrapper is easy enough (a two line
shellscript on Linux).  Using a single player for all multimedia is the
norm today, not the other way around.