[Vorbis-dev] Tutorial/Docs for using libvorbis directly

Michael Sparks michaels
Thu Jul 1 09:27:27 PDT 2004

Hi,

We needed a vorbis decoder that operated differently from the approach taken
libvorbisfile. So I sat down, looked through the docs, and the sample decoder
that come with libvorbis and wrote our own.

Since I couldn't find any docs for the API for libvorbis itself, I've written
some. It details all the steps you need to go through to write a _basic_
reusable decoder library using libvorbis. It's designed both as a basic
tutorial as to how to build a basic reusable decoder, and also as
documentation.

The reusable core is designed for use as follows:

While decoding and no errors:
Ask for audio - to which we get a response
If we're asked for data,
respond with bytes for decode (received, for example, from a network
socket)
If we get audio we can do something with it. (e.g. go "beep")

Some of it is clearly conjecture as a result of working back from source. I'd
like to pass the doc and code back to xiph if you're interested. (It does not
document the internals, just the external API needed for simple decoders -
I'm not an audio person)

As far as I'm aware it's the most detailed document on how to create a basic
decoder using libvorbis directly.

Regards,

Michael.
--
Michael Sparks, Senior R&D Engineer, Digital Media Group
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk,