[vorbis-dev] timestamping / latency

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sat Jan 10 14:35:38 PST 2004

John Morton wrote:

>The long answer is that it depends on how low you need the latency to be.
>What's the application you had in mind?

We're trying to build a system that allows full-duplex multichannel
streaming. There will be a version using uncompressed audio and we plan
to use ogg/vorbis for a second version using compressed audio signals
(for use with ADSL connections as the minimum bandwidth). The criteria
to be met are: high audio quality and multichannel support along with
low latency. So it's not just voice to be transmitted.
We're also working on an echo-cancellation system so the goal is to get
something like voice over IP but with multiple channels and in much
better audio quality. Latency should be somewhere around or even below 1
second.