[vorbis-dev] Dot Product

Stephen So s.so at griffith.edu.au
Wed Feb 18 21:30:44 PST 2004

programmer_ted wrote:

>> Yes, this is correct. Actually there're 3 products:
>>
>> 1) cross product: (defined in R^3)
>>    vector X vector --> vector
>> 2) dot product:
>>    vector X vector --> vector
>> 3) scalar product:
>>    vector X vector --> scalar
>

> Actually, all the sources I've read from say the dot product and
> scalar product are the same thing, and they produce a scalar.  Cross
> product is a vector that is perpendicular to the vectors used.

product' mentioned in the Vorbis docs is not the same as the
mathematical definition.  Maybe the term, 'element-by-element product'
is more fitting. ;)

Stephen So, BEng(Hons)

PhD Student,
Signal Processing Laboratory,
School of Microelectronic Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology,
Griffith University, Nathan Campus,
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, 4111.

Phone: +61-7-3875 3754
E-mail: s.so at griffith.edu.au