[vorbis-dev] Stereo mode settings

Stephen So s.so at griffith.edu.au
Fri Feb 6 17:12:40 PST 2004

HF boost is one of the most frequently named "Vorbis signatures" in
listening tests.  If you can truly get rid of it, then it will be a
significant boost for Vorbis. :)

Steve.

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>> You could test this effect on monoaural files.
>> The "HF boost" will still be present.
>> It's because of heavy quantization. The SNR is *so*
>> low at high frequencies in low bitrate modes, that the
>> quantization error increases energy noticably.
>

> Ooh, if *this* causes that "HF boost" problem, I know how
> to fix it (I fixed it for Lame a few years ago ;-) )
>
>> The bad news:
>> I don't know how to avoid this in general.
>

> But I do :-)
>
> Stay tuned...
>

> Segher
>
> --- >8 ----
> 'vorbis-dev-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No subject is
> needed.

Stephen So, BEng(Hons)

PhD Student,
Signal Processing Laboratory,
School of Microelectronic Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology,
Griffith University, Nathan Campus,
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, 4111.

Phone: +61-7-3875 3754
E-mail: s.so at griffith.edu.au