[vorbis-dev] Dot Product

Patrick Joseph Curran pat at umd.edu
Thu Feb 19 07:15:21 PST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, programmer_ted wrote:

> I think the formal definition for the dot product is
>
> vector X . vector Y = |X||Y| cos theta
>
> where |X| is the norm of X and theta is the angle between the two vectors
> are put tail to tail.  I like yours a lot more though.

That method and the other way [ (a,b,c) . (x,y,z) = ax+by+cz ] are
actually the same thing.  At least in your standard euclidian space.
If you want to get overly picky I think that the said otherway is a touch
more formal, if only because I always see the norm defined by the inner
product.

                                        -Pat

p.s. I reserve the right to be wrong.