[Vorbis-dev] signedness

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Dec 22 15:12:35 PST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 14:24, nagaraja.sreerama at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I need another clarification regarding the standard.
>
> In floor0 header decode (setup), the point no.7 says that
>
> if any of [floor0_order], [floor0_rate], [floor0_bark_map_size],
> floor0_amplitude_bits],  [floor0_amplitude_offset] or
> [floor0_number_of_books] are less than zero, the stream is not decodable
>
> But as we see, all those values are read as unsigned integers. Now I'm
> not able to understand how can these values be less than 0, to render
> the stream undecodable ? Is it that I understood wrongly or that this
> line is not valid anymore ?
>
> Can anyone please clarify ?
>
> Best regards,
> Nags..

Hmm... This is obviously either wrong or useless.

The reference decoder requires floor0_order, floor0_rate,
floor0_bark_map_size, and floor0_number_of_books to be greater than zero,
rather than zero or more. I think this is probably what is meant here.

There aren't any checks on floor0_amplitude_bits or floor0_amplitude_offset,
though - zero is permitted there. It doesn't look like you could make a
useful stream with those set to zero, however.

Maybe Monty can comment on the intent here?

Mike