[Vorbis-dev] multicast vorbis stream

Jens Prüfer jens.pruefer at gmx.de
Tue Dec 7 14:55:29 PST 2004

Segher Boessenkool schrieb/Segher Boessenkool said:

> Just push the stream out at its "natural" rate, with some slack
> for buffering of course (you can't output it at a continuous rate
> anyway).

Errm, what do you mean by "natural" rate? Can you elaborate, please? And why
can't I push data at a continuous rate? It is a multicast stream, I don't see
how else it should work.

I wanted to keep it simple and if at all possible use the "tremor" decoder for
the job.

Client's end:

1) join a multicast group
2) read the vorbis stream
3) decode using tremor
4) send output to soundcard

Server:

1) Read input file from playlist
2) Check file data (is it vorbis? What's its average bitrate?)
3) if vorbis, stream data at average rate on multicast
4) goto 1

Now, do I understand this right? I cannot do it that way at all and need to
write my own encoder and decoder? I only want to stream allready encoded
vorbis data,  including the Ogg container. This will keep me from fiddling
around with the codebooks "out of band".

Is that a totally stupid idea?

Cheers

Jens