[Vorbis-dev] multicast vorbis stream

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Dec 6 15:42:57 PST 2004

On Monday 06 December 2004 04:33, Jens Prüfer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a software to multicast vorbis streams? I could not find any, so I
> tried myself. However, I have timing problems. Can you point me to any
> documentation or sample code snipets where for example the timing issues of
> vorbis multicast are addressed?

I don't know of any software for this, but there are some draft specifications
for doing Vorbis over RTP that you could look at.

The ogg vorbis bitstream (if we assume your input format is ogg vorbis, before
you stream it as rtp/vorbis) has all the information you need for accurate
timing - the ogg and vorbis documentation should make all this pretty clear,
but ask here if you still have questions.

Basically, you look at the sample rate of the stream, and the ogg page
granulepos values, and then you can do exact timing very easily. What you
CAN'T do (as you noted, this is because vorbis is VBR) is just send a
constant amount of data per time interval.

Mike