[Vorbis-dev] libvorbis automake version dependency

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Aug 24 04:16:45 PDT 2004

Hi,

> automake1.4 fails with error:
>
> vq/Makefile.am:9: invalid unused variable name: `AM_LDFLAGS'
>
> automake1.6 succeeds
>
> automake1.8 succeeds (with a bunch of "underquoted" warnings for
> referenced macros)
(the underquoted warnings are due to installed .m4 files being underquoted, and harmless)

> it seems the AM_LDFLAGS magic was introduced after automake-1.4.
> Commenting out the offending line allows a successful build with
> automake-1.4.

am 1.4 doesn't have per-target flags or global automake flags.

> Should we re-introduce the 1.6 requirement, or remove the
> offending line from vq/Makefile.am?

Reintroducing them will make newer automakes complain about overriding
flags that shouldn't be overridden.

Personally I'd just have autogen.sh check for at least 1.6.
It is both common enough and stable.

Thomas

Get a fella's motor running, let the tension
marinate a couple of days, then BAM !
You crown yourself the ice queen.