[vorbis-dev] Concatenating waves

8ut3ww302 at sneakemail.com 8ut3ww302 at sneakemail.com
Fri Apr 30 17:16:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:36:30 -0300, "Adriano Almeida
adriano-at-continuum.com.br |vorbis|" <c6k4hwf8170t at sneakemail.com> said:
> Hello, I want to guarantee that a few wav files when converted to .ogg
> use the same codebook and configuration so that I can will store the
> setup packets 1 time, saving the space used for each file's setup
> packets and, when decoding(playing) the files, sparing the time wasted
> setting things up.
>

> For that I realize that if I concatenate all .wav in one big .wav and
> then transform it to .ogg, they will share the same codebooks and
> configs. (right??)

My understanding is that you don't need to do this - if they're
individually encoded with the same encoder, at the same quality, they
should use the same codebooks.  You could then just strip the headers,
and have your program use the headers to init the decoder before
playing back each headerless sample.  IANAVD, so I can't say whether
this method would be more or less efficient than seeking to selected
offsets in one big file.

--
  Andrew Mahone
  andrewmahone AT eml DOT cc