[vorbis-dev] ogg123 streaming bug - cont.

Stan Seibert volsung at xiph.org
Tue Apr 13 11:56:52 PDT 2004

Christoph Rupp wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> a few weeks ago there was a short thread about ogg123 starting to
> stutter (http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200403/0043.html) and
> making static noise after streaming music for more than 3.5 hours. I
> have a similar problem; i used ices-2.0 to stream a playlist, and
> after a couple of hours (sometimes just one hour, sometimes 5 to 8
> hours) i get noise or stutter.
>
> Now one thing i have discovered is that the input buffer of ogg123
> starts dropping, and after some hours it drops below 1% to 5%,  and
> then the music gets interrupted. So maybe the sleeping period in
> libshout's shout_sync() is too short?

all) streaming servers deal with clock drift between the audio source
and the audio client?  Given enough time, that would lead to buffer
under/overfills.  I've assumed they just ignore it since for normal
listening durations the effect would be negligible.  With a 64 kB buffer
fill on the client, you need to drift something on the order of 10
seconds before the problem shows up.  I don't know anything about the
quality of sound card oscillators, so I can't comment how long it would
take to achieve this in practice.

Is there something about the rate control that makes this a non-issue?

---
Stan Seibert