[vorbis-dev] UDP streaming vorbis

Eric Ross eross+vorbis-dev at disc.ucn.cl
Wed Sep 10 10:36:52 PDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

> Are you sure you want to use UDP?  It'll sort-of-work for a LAN (I
> guess that's how you tested it) but it will break horribly in the
> large.

Yep, i've tested it in a lan, and as you guesses it works fine. But i need
to transmit the audio using multicast, so i have to use it.

> In particular, consider that the order of packets can change.
> I'm not sure what guarantees RTP gives but UDP sounds like really
> saking for trouble.

Well, RTP gives a way to timestamp and sequence numbering that packets.
This can be used to reorder things, but i'm not currently interested in
using rtp.

> If you don't want it, you need to have a separate (ideally - TCP)
> connection to the server for fetching the last headers.  Then you get
> the data over UDP from the point when you joined.  I believe it's the
> way Vorbis-over-RTP works, read its spec for more info.

It sounds as a good idea. I'll give it a try in the following days.

Thanks

--
The names of their development products, visual this, visual that, almost
makes one think that you can create software just by looking at your computer