[vorbis-dev] Re: "wrong" total time from ov_time_total

Rodrigo Gómez rgomez at msa.com.mx
Fri Sep 12 08:31:03 PDT 2003

Ok, so a bug in ov_time_total is discarded...

I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinium to do the tests. I would expect
them to be "nice", not as a Digigram or AudioScience card, but also not
buggy. But, now that you mention it, I have had a problem that I didn't know
how to solve or why it happened: I can't encode at different rates, the same
audio. Let's say, I play some song in Winamp, and start encoding in 3
different threads, each one at a different sample rate, in my program. The
audio from the first thread that starts the encoding hears right, but the
audio from the other 2 encodings hears bad: like it was being encoded at a
different sample rate than the one the audio is being recorded. I tested it
with the included audio hardware with my motherboard and it seems to be
encoded fine. That surprised my, as I would expect that an Audigy card was
better, in all aspects, than any other non-pro card, but maybe I'm just too
marketing-biased.

So, I'll try this with another card, to see if it helps.

How can I guess the actual hardware clock? Any idea? I will have to deal
mostly with Sound Blaster cards, and if they have a defect like that I need
to solve this in some way.

Thanks for your help!

Rodrigo Gómez