[vorbis-dev] UDP streaming vorbis

Tim tim.hutt at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 11 11:45:50 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 10:35, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Petr Tomasek wrote on 2003-09-11:
>
> > You can also retransmit the headers on user request via the main (multicast)
> > channel...
> >
> You don't want to retransmit over the multicast channel to all the
> clients when you get a request from only one of them.  OTOH, If you
> get too many requests, it's better to retransmit from time to time.
> Depends on usage pattern (number of clients, frequency of joining,
> average length of tracks).

I thought about this also, and decided the best way to do it would be by
clients requesting the headers over a TCP connection. Also, if you want
to have the title/artist change per song rather than just staying as
"Virgin Radio" or whatever, you should send the headers over the
multicast thing when you want it to change. The fact that the clients
connect via TCP would also let you collect stats easier.