[vorbis-dev] I want to help

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Mon Sep 8 23:11:54 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 12:31, you wrote:
>  On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 17:54, Mike S wrote:
>  > Hi, I want to help code on a part of the ogg vorbis project and I really
>  > don't know where to start. I know C pretty well and I can use assembly
>  > every once in a while to speed things up. My first idea was to try and
>  > speed up the library with assembly (maybe SIMD) code. However, I soon
>  > realized I didn't understand the main parts of the encoder at all (I'm
>  > assuming most of the CPU time is taken up by this modified discrete
>  > cosine transform). Where is most of the help needed? A recent post said
>  > vcut needed work, should I do that? Or would I be helpful elsewhere?
>
>  Working with vcut would be a good way to get familiar with Vorbis,
>  though it might take some study to figure out how to improve it if this
>  is your first project with Vorbis.
>
>  One thing I'm looking for is someone to add ReplayGain support to
>  ogg123.  I made a patch to do it a while ago and lost it in a hard drive
>  move.

Got a patch for that - it pushes all the backend details of replaygain into a
ov_read like function and a few other helpers. I added it to the xmms vorbis
plugin and got side tracked beating the title tag and file info code into a
fit state.

> For now, I would suggest it be added to oggvorbis_format.c,
>  though in theory Vorbis, FLAC and Speex could all have ReplayGain tags
>  (since they all use Vorbis-style comments) so it should be easy to move
>  to a higher level in the code if needed later.

Yes, it could do, but my code is applying the gain to ov_read_float output -
do FLAC and Speex have float outputs at all?

John