[vorbis-dev] hlp: off topic but need experty---How to calculate amplitute of l eaner pcm data

Jonathan_Huang at compal.com Jonathan_Huang at compal.com
Mon Oct 6 19:30:33 PDT 2003

To vorbis expert group:

        Sorry to drop this message but I need help :-(
        I got the linear pcm data from windows waveio api or vorbis codec. I
think the data is signed. My goal is to construct a db scale(ppm) to display
the volume while playing just like the old tape deck.
        The original amplitude is expressed in turn of voltage. I have no
idea how to coverted it in digital form.
I saw a formula like p= 1/n * sum(x=0 to n) (pcmvalue/2 to power of (num of
bits))^2 and signal level L=10 log p + C.
I also noted I need to add a constant for a or mu law coded pcm. Do I need
to add any for linear pcm? How do I convert this to peak power meter or this
is it?
        Please let me know if there is a place I can ask or find more
relative data.

John