[vorbis-dev] win32sdk-1.0.1

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Oct 23 04:10:30 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:23:48AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:

> Generally, the converted VC6 project file will produce a VC7 project file
> that carries over the same settings and generates compiles that are
> equivalent.

Equivalent in the sense of linking the VC6 runtimes and not working with
VC7 applications?

I think we don't need to worry too much about optimization tweaks
(except for actual binaries we build) but basic compatibility is
important.

> I would have thought that serious developers are likely to download the
> relevant libs and compile their own binaries rather than rely upon
> pre-compiled binaries from another source, even if it is Xiph!! But,
> shipping binaries of the two flavours you mention shouldn't be too onerous,
> I would have thought.

Never underestimate the laziness of Windows programmers?

More seriously, having an SDK 'just work' if only for a common case is
important in lowering the barrier to entry. This is why the autotools
suite is so important in unix-oriented software. It's much more engaging
to be able to focus on your application at the beginning rather than
having to muck for a few hours (or days) with someone else's build
system. Of course later, when you're serious, you'll go back and tweak
things up for optimum integration.

 -r