[vorbis-dev] New entropy coder

Yann Guidon whygee at f-cpu.org
Sat Oct 11 03:57:44 PDT 2003

hi,

Josh Coalson wrote:

>-- Yann Guidon <whygee at f-cpu.org> wrote:
>
>>i've been told by more informed people than me that there are some
>>patent-free
>>and better algorithms than the classical IBM implementation.
>>

>maybe you are thinking of range coding?

no, but i've looked at it as well.

Steven Pigeon, who is quite known in the compression community,
told me about "ELS" from Pegasus Imaging (well, huh,
"cheap but still proprietary") and "Z coder" from AT&T
which is "open source" and better than the Q and QM coder from IBM.

hmmm, that's what he said, maybe i made up the "patent-free" thing
from loosy memory. just in case of a doubt, range coding is a good
candidate too.

>Josh

YG