[vorbis-dev] Is my understanding accurate?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 22:56:00 PST 2003

Hi all!

I'm working on a Java program to read the metadata from Ogg Vorbis
files, which means interpretting the Ogg framing.  I'm hoping that some-
one can take a look at the following page and tell me if the overview
I've written is accurate.

Also, since the documentation doesn't specifically state whether the
fields in the page header should be interpretted as signed or unsigned,
is the following correct:

     absolute granule position

         -1 (0xffffffffffffffff) is used to indicate that no packets
         end on a page, but it's not clear whether, for example,
         0x8000000000000000 should be interpretted as a valid positive
         value.  (I'll be the first to admit that this question is almost
         certainly academic, but it would still be nice to know.)

     stream serial number

         Doesn't matter; just a bit pattern.

     page sequence no

     page checksum