[vorbis-dev] Encoding in Delphi - Help

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Sat Nov 8 07:16:27 PST 2003

On Sat 8 November 2003 13:50, Crock Real wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've made a vorbis encoder in delphi, but it's very verey slow!
> It takes 5 minutes to encode a pcm file.

How big is the file, and on what kind of computer? What quality are
you using? How fast can oggenc compress it at the same settings?

> And i don't know why. Could anyone help me???
<snip Delphi code>

What is this fix; procedure call I see everywhere (I programmed in
Pascal many moons ago, but I've never done Delphi, and I couldn't
find it on the web). Does it by any chance sync disks?

>------------------------------ I'm not an expert, so I don't know
> what I should use: beg endian, or little endian. Matthijs Laan

That depends on your input file. If it's little endian, use little
endian, else if it's big endian use big endian. Doing this the
wrong way around might (haven't tried actually) increase
compression time, since then you're trying to compress noise
essentially.

> uses: SAMPLES = 4096; and readbuffer: array[0..SAMPLES*4-1] of
> Byte; but in the encoder_example.c : SAMPLES = 1024; and char
> readbuffer[SAMPLES*4+44]; Why???

A larger buffer shouldn't hurt, and might improve read performance
because less reads are done in total.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key