[vorbis-dev] Re: Ogg Vorbis DirectShow decoder filter - ongoing development ?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Mon May 26 10:26:26 PDT 2003

> >This is depressing.  That leaves us one half way decent closed source
> >set of filters, and one totally awful set of open source ones.  Both
> >abandoned.
>
> Where are the opensource sets your are mentioning ? Maybe we can
> progress from there ?

The mediaxw project (or something like that) on sourceforge.  They are
not really suitable to be used as a base.  I had oddsock check them out
a few weeks back for that very reason, but he said they didn't even
compile.

> >Would any of you win32 nuts like to help fund an official set of
> >plugins?  I have some pointers on reliable people to do the work.
> >jack.
>
> LOL ! I never knew i am a 'win32 nut' , but maybe i ever have been one
> without noticing :) ? Anyway, if we can help, just give us a shout. If
> we dont hear from you guys within the next 2 weeks, we simply start with
> the Vorbis decoder based on some GPL skeleton code we have done already
> ( for CoreAAC BTW, an opensource AAC Dshow filter ).

I meant win32 nut in the nicest possible way :)  If you're in IRC come
chat with me, I'd like to discuss this with you.  It sounds like we both
want to see a good set of filters.  Note that I don't think you can
legally make GPL plugins to proprietary apps, but it's a hazy area :)
I'd make them LGPL just in case.

> Another thing : If you plan to make a set of filters of your own, was it
> possible to get CVS write access for at least one of our devs, so we can
> upload patches easier ?

That won't be a problem.

jack.